Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Brunette Factor

One of the great things about working at a theatre is you have resources to people who have all sorts of skills. I talked to the wigmaster about dying my hair a light brown and did he think I was too pale? He told me I should actually do a medium brown and be sure to have the eyebrows dyed too.

I went to the same hairdresser that chopped off my eleven inches. It's a small salon, only two chairs with two stylists. They often cut and/or dye our actors' hair for roles. As a matter of fact, 10-Year-Old Tommy is a natural blond and had his haired dyed black for the role there (but by the other stylist - she's great, too). He's such a good stylist that he has clients that have moved away, as far as Hawaii, and will come back to town to get their hair done by him.

All I said was, "Medium Brown." And the usual, "Whatever you think is best."
He stared at me for a bit.
"You're noticing how pale I am, aren't you?"
"No, I'm looking at the color of your eyes."

After he was done, I looked in the mirror and said, "I love it!"

The first two pictures are taken in the green room about an hour after I left the salon. Unfortunately, under florescent lights.







The biggest shock for me was the eyebrows. The first day they looked a little strong since I probably had dye on my skin, too. And I'm just not use to having eyebrows stand out that much.


The next morning, outside in the shade, after taking a shower.
Eyebrows seem to have calmed down a bit.
(I don't always wear it in a flip.)










This is my favorite picture.











Don't like this picture that much, but wanted to show the color in direct sunlight.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it! It looked so normal, brown hair and pale and then it occurred to me who you look like....you sort of look like Jen!

Julie said...

So glad another natural blond likes it!

I've been trying to figure out who I remind myself of (hm. not a sentence you hear everyday...) Maybe it is Jen!

Thought I might look more like my aunt than I usually do (since she is a natural brown)but I don't think I do.

Neel Mehta said...

This is going to take some getting used to, but I love the flip.

The main question is: how do you look with your blingtastic glasses now?

Courtney said...

You're giving me courage to think about my own drastic change...

Julie said...

The cool thing about hair is: it's not permanent. Yes, it can be a drastic change, but it's only temporary. Sad if you like it and have to keep going back to cover the blonde roots - but if you don't like it, it'll grow out.