Monday, May 08, 2006

20 Years of Me

Originally I wasn't going to post this. I saw it on other friends' blogs and thought of it as a writing/memory exercise. Wrote it with paper and pen. I didn't know if I would have anything that would be worth sharing. I don't have any 'big moments' like getting married or having kids or other adult things I have managed to avoid. Which makes it harder to tell one year from the next. After college it all kind of blends together.

I was in such a deep funk when I wrote the draft that I had to cross out some of 'this year' list and wrote the note, "more upbeat!" above it. Half of it was just hormones (I hope). For the most part this year has been really good, it's just the spring that hasn't been. Who knew February could last all the way into May?

I fudged a little bit on the timeline on a few things by six months or so. It's my timeline, I can do what I want.
I wrote it on April 26th.

20 Years Ago I...
1. got glasses for the first time
2. discovered a love for writing and for theatre
3. wondered why I was getting teased for being a straight-A student when I never was

10 Years Ago I...
1. was working on completing my BA in theatre
2. was three years into being diagnosed with A.D.D. and was now on meds for it.
3. was trying to figure out "Where now?" and felt a draw back to the PNW

5 Years Ago I...
1. worked on my favorite musical and had the best theatre experience of my life
2. lost my grandpa - being the first person I was close to to pass on
3. had Babi teach me how to crochet

3 Years Ago I...
1. started my petsitting business
2. lived completely on my own for the first time (but second attempt) - no roommates or crashers
3. did a 100-mile backpack trip on the PCT over the Goat Rocks
4. quit taking any A.D.D. meds due to lack of funds

Last Year I...
1. found a fondness for kayaking
2. started to wonder where my passion for theatre went
3. dated (it's been exactly 12 months since I've had a date)
4. went car-less for the whole year

This Year I...
1. surprisingly made a lot of new, great friends and made close friends with people that had been 'just acquaintances' before.
2. got a car
3. had the 3rd best theatre experience of my life
4. started a blog despite my introvertedness and my worry that I wouldn't have anything to say
5. learned that when things are moving forward for the better, they can take a turn and go right back to the crummy old way.
6. learned that 'adore' means love (it took two new friends and a crossword puzzle to get this across to me)
7. took dance lessons (east coast swing & blues)

Yesterday I...
1. worked on the light hang for Dolly
2. took care of seven cats and one dog
3. caught up with Sven, whom I haven't talked to in a couple of months - via cell phones
4. chatted with David, whom I haven't talked to in a couple of days - via cell phones
5. discovered that my bike was stolen

Tomorrow I will...
1. be in tech rehearsal for Girl/Dreams as we have moved it up north
2. take care of animals
3. try to get out of this mood

This next year I will...
1. make sure to maintain all the new friendships I have made this year as well as all the old ones
2. attempt to find a new job, maybe even find a career
3. learn something new
4. do something I've never done before

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And about 17 and a half years ago, you spent 12 months in Australia and met me!!! :):):)

Well, among others, anyway....

Julie said...

That's right!

After reading this, Mum said I had forgotten Australia. I said I didn't forget, it just didn't land in any of the categories.

Unknown said...

Well, I don't know you at all and I happened upon this when I was researching Haiti (which led me to Once On This Island- which I worked on the original first staged reading at Playwrights Horizons- which led me to this blog)
But I sure hope you are doing well, and that you are content.