Friday night was Blues Dancing. During the day I decided I wouldn't go. I had a show to do and even though I could get in a few hours after that, I wasn't quite sure I wanted to. I've gone swing and blues dancing with my friends but never did it alone. They would be gone by the time I got there. And there is the shyness to combat. On top of that I've just started to learn blues, so I'm not all that confident in my skills.People keep asking me what blues dancing is. The best way I can describe it is a bit more refined version of dirty dancing. And the place I go to has a DJ, not a live band like the Tinkler painting shown here.
Friday night I'm driving home after working on the show. I was wearing my blacks, didn't have a change of clothes, and didn't know if my shoes would be ok for dancing. As I'm driving back towards the city, I'm listening to music. A woman is singing about living every moment. I thought about what I would be doing instead. Going home and... doing not much of anything. I should overcome whatever is stopping me and go out there on my own.
Which is exactly what I did. Once I got there I made a goal for myself. I wouldn't leave until I danced with a certain amount of people. I danced with a handful of men (I didn't do any of the asking). Actually went over the goal. And the shoes worked fine.
While it wasn't life changing or the best time ever (and my dancing skills need an upgrade) I thought, 'At least I'm out here doing it!'
2 comments:
Go you!
I think I danced with you!
Post a Comment