Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Heading West

Sunday morning, as I was driving to north to work, with a beautiful view of Mt Baker and the Cascades, I felt myself itching to go on a road trip and explore. If I could just keep going all the way to Vancouver, BC or something. Then the traffic jam happened (Sunday morning!), so I started fantasizing about a train trip instead. In reality, I did two shows and strike.
Monday, Pic gives me a call. Apparently I wasn't the only one with wanderlust. But going north or east would just feel like going to work for me. Let's get on a ferry and head west, I suggest off of the top of my head. So with hardly any planning - literally, we take off. When we arrived at the ferry dock we pulled in to the Bainbridge/Bremerton line and asked the woman in the ticket booth what was available now. Bremerton. Didn't even have to wait in line.

Leaving Seattle. If you can't tell, I stitched two pictures together. Kind of hard to get a good match when you are on a moving boat.
I had never been to Bremerton. We drove around for a little bit and decided that going to Bainbridge would be more interesting. Bremerton exists because of the navy and looks like just another suburb of Seattle - all the gentrification, every chain is there.

So we drove to Bainbridge Island and stopped to explore Winslow. Had dinner there and went to some little shops. At a candle store the woman asked us if we were visiting from Seattle for the day - even though we hadn't said anything that would have given us away. "You can tell?" I asked. "You start developing a sense of these things", she responded.



Leaving Bainbridge, as the sun sets behind the Olympic Mountain Range.


Another ferry heads west as we head east. Mt Rainier highlighted pink by the sunset.

Coming back to Seattle, the sunset reflecting off some of the skyscrapers.

4 comments:

N. English said...

Nice pics, sometimes you just gotta move...

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! There is just something about capturing the perfect image that is so exciting. glad you had a good ride.

Julie said...

I have 11 shots of the sun setting behind Bainbridge alone - that isn't counting the cityscapes at sunset.

K-Lyn said...

Now I feel bad for not taking pics on my recent trip. Those are great!