I was listening to NPR while cleaning the house. "Prairie Home Companion" started. They were telling quick jokes. A woman told one about "a blonde" doing something stupid. The theme was old jokes. At the second blonde joke (which was only about five minutes into the show) I turned it off.
I hate blonde jokes. I am seriously offended by them. A constant reminder that how I look means that people think I'm not intelligent. Blond hair and a C-cup is a genetic trait, not something I chose. I may not be a genius, but am definitely smarter than "The Blonde."
At the height of the blonde joke's popularity, people kept telling them to me, usually starting with, "Hey, you're blonde. I have this joke for you." WHY would they think I would like it? Thank you for pointing out that you think I, and people like me, are dumb. Would they like it if I started with, "Hey, you're Jewish. I have this joke for you..." and tell some anti-Semitic joke?
Mum once pointed out that it is always assumed that The Blonde is a woman. Look at the structure: Two blondes walk in to a bar.... How do you get a blonde...
It is never stated that it's a woman. And it's never a man. So these jokes are sexist as well.
There is also the phrase "had a blonde moment." Definition: to have done something stupid. I have friends who use this phrase and I try to remind them who they are speaking to.
I have trouble getting through to people that these jokes do offend. I've told people not to tell me them or whithin ear shot of me. I've asked for the comments to stop. No affect at all. So that's why I'm ranting here. Yes, people can change their hair color, but how far are these jokes from telling a joke based on someones skin color?
Saturday, February 03, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Yes, there is that question of being too PC that there are no jokes left. But lawyers, doctors, politicians all had a choice to become that profession - it wasn't in their DNA to look like one all their lives.
I chose to play the accordion. I don't mind the jokes and even tell them myself. Because I had a choice.
Would they like it if I started with, "Hey, you're Jewish. I have this joke for you..." and tell some anti-Semitic joke?
Sadly, I'm sure this has happened in the past.
I don't actually tell jokes, blonde, lawyer, or otherwise, so I'm not your target audience, but I should think that some of your anger should be directed at the continued parade of celebrities who perpetuate the stereotype of the dumb blonde. And the non-natural blondes who lighten their hair so they can be taken less seriously.
I would just replace the word "Blonde" with "Jessica Simpson". Since she's the one making $$$ of the stereotype.
So, Jessica Simpson walks into a bar...
Don't get me wrong, I almost started in on the whole Hollywood stereotype, but figured my rant would get a bit too long and decided to concentrate on one of the many aspects. Plus, this was an immediate reaction (hence rant) on what I had just heard, not a research paper on the many ways society stereotypes blondes.
I must admit, I have a secret joy when a "bimbo" is played by an actress who did not bleach her hair for the part. Or even the basic thing of having a voice deeper than a squeal. But I like anything that goes against stereotype-casting (and works).
I always take the positive spin on it. If they are pointing a blonde joke at me (because I am blonde), then I look at it as a compliment because maybe they think I'm pretty enough to be considered a "dumb" blonde. :-)
My comment morphed into a whole post on my site. Julie, I think you'll be able to figure out who is the young man in the story.
I already figured out the young, blond gentleman from that sentence!
I never tell them. But I do tell the How Many Therapists Does It Take To Change A Lightbulb joke.
My mom, the therapist, told me it first.
smart blonde jokes
http://indianhillmediaworks.typepad.com/outoftheinbox/smart_blonde/index.html
Post a Comment