Sunday, February 18, 2007

Julie Does Drugs

Once again, trying out the ADD meds, after about a four year hiatus. This time, Strattera. It's only been a week on these. I'm giving it a two week trial. Let's see what fun things will occur...

So far, not liking them. I know it takes about a fortnight to see any real effect. It's not like taking Advil. I can't just pop one in and wait a few minutes for them to take effect. But so far the side effects seem to be outweighing the benefits.
Both the doctor and "Pharmy" (as Karen would say) warned me of feeling nauseated the first few days but then it goes away. Check.
Pharmy said it might cause insomnia. Strange, because I keep falling asleep taking these things. I'm drowsy all the time. Maybe it causes insomnia in civilians but it's a sleeping pill to me.

I'm reminded of the line from R.&G. Are Dead:
"We are actors, we are the opposite of people."
It's like that with ADD and medication. If you give a civilian (non-ADD person) Ritalin, you have just handed them speed. Watch them climb the walls. Yet an ADD person will be calmed down by it (or to put it another way: they will stop climbing the walls).

I haven't noticed any benefits from these pills. Except that I've never been able to nap in the middle of the day before (unless ill). Nothing is getting done because I'm sleeping all the time.

Issue: How can I say at work that I'm drowsy because of the meds I'm taking? What if someone asks me what I'm taking meds for? How do I politely say "none of your business"?

Friday I see Doc again. Think I'll suggest something else...

3 comments:

K-Lyn said...

Dude! Does that mean we can't drink on St. Paddy's??? (it's all about me)

As for people at work I don't think there is any readon you can't say "My doctor had me on a new medication. It's nothing serious but, man, I can't seem to stay awake!"

Julie said...

I believe FRIDAY is before March 17. I'll be stopping these on Friday.

K-Lyn said...

I thought you were saying you'd go on a different one...same question goes after friday. Although perhaps I should relish the idea of a DD. Still, I think we can both party and teach you about the BART.

Password verification: BNLRX perhaps you should listen to "If I Had a Million Dollars" twice and call me in the morning.