Well that two week experiment with Strattera did not go well. One thing I learned: I don't ever want to take it again. The drowsiness never went away. And I didn't notice a difference in battling my ADD.
I was concerned that I would be too drowsy to do things like my Lindy Hop dance class. Turns out, as long as I was moving, I was ok. It was as soon as I stopped moving that I would become sluggish again. Luckily I don't have a desk job - oh, wait.
I was also glad I wasn't working at the theatre during this time. Who knows how that could have affected my job performance.
The one benefit I got from it was getting sleep. I've always had trouble falling asleep quickly. This seemed to cure it.
The main reason I hated them: Depression. I guess the pills went a little too far in bringing me down. The reason there has been no entries on this blog is because I didn't want to write anymore. I even thought about destroying the whole blog.
Back to Doc. I gave her back the second, unopened sample bottle and told her I never wanted to see those again. This time I was the one to suggest the med: Adderall. Dr. Amen, an expert on ADD, had listed this in one of his books for my type of ADD (Strattera wasn't even on the list). Doc said the reason she didn't give me adderall the first time was because of the reaction I had had to Ritalin. About twelve years ago I had tried it, and while it did improve my focus, it had a strange side effect. My arms and legs always felt like they were falling asleep.
Yesterday was my first time taking the little blue pill [insert viagra joke here]. Yet again, I do the small doses and increase it weekly. Then if all goes well, I can build up to adderall XR (extended release).
So far, no weird side effects. Yet again, Pharmy said something about nausea, but I haven't even felt that. And can still feel all my limbs. Also could cause restlessness and trouble falling asleep. Hmm. How will I know if it's me or the drugs?
As I mentioned before, it's going to take awhile before there is a noticeable difference. But here's one: I'm awake and feel like writing again.
I went to the website to read up more about it and was very surprised to see a celebrity endorsement. I don't think I have ever seen a celebrity endorse anything for AD/HD. On top of that, it's usually a child's picture they put on these things (along with a parent that has that worry wrinkle across the forehead or has a big smile 'cause the kid finally picked up a book).
Let me dispel the assumption that all ADD meds cannot be combined with alcohol. There is no problem having a Guinness while taking these. Although I'm more in the "whoop-dee-snot" camp about that. I don't care that much about drinking.
Back to some old issues: last night I went from yawning and tired at the computer to laying in bed for two hours waiting for the Sandman to come.
I was concerned that I would be too drowsy to do things like my Lindy Hop dance class. Turns out, as long as I was moving, I was ok. It was as soon as I stopped moving that I would become sluggish again. Luckily I don't have a desk job - oh, wait.
I was also glad I wasn't working at the theatre during this time. Who knows how that could have affected my job performance.
The one benefit I got from it was getting sleep. I've always had trouble falling asleep quickly. This seemed to cure it.
The main reason I hated them: Depression. I guess the pills went a little too far in bringing me down. The reason there has been no entries on this blog is because I didn't want to write anymore. I even thought about destroying the whole blog.
Back to Doc. I gave her back the second, unopened sample bottle and told her I never wanted to see those again. This time I was the one to suggest the med: Adderall. Dr. Amen, an expert on ADD, had listed this in one of his books for my type of ADD (Strattera wasn't even on the list). Doc said the reason she didn't give me adderall the first time was because of the reaction I had had to Ritalin. About twelve years ago I had tried it, and while it did improve my focus, it had a strange side effect. My arms and legs always felt like they were falling asleep.
Yesterday was my first time taking the little blue pill [insert viagra joke here]. Yet again, I do the small doses and increase it weekly. Then if all goes well, I can build up to adderall XR (extended release).
So far, no weird side effects. Yet again, Pharmy said something about nausea, but I haven't even felt that. And can still feel all my limbs. Also could cause restlessness and trouble falling asleep. Hmm. How will I know if it's me or the drugs?
As I mentioned before, it's going to take awhile before there is a noticeable difference. But here's one: I'm awake and feel like writing again.
I went to the website to read up more about it and was very surprised to see a celebrity endorsement. I don't think I have ever seen a celebrity endorse anything for AD/HD. On top of that, it's usually a child's picture they put on these things (along with a parent that has that worry wrinkle across the forehead or has a big smile 'cause the kid finally picked up a book).Let me dispel the assumption that all ADD meds cannot be combined with alcohol. There is no problem having a Guinness while taking these. Although I'm more in the "whoop-dee-snot" camp about that. I don't care that much about drinking.
Back to some old issues: last night I went from yawning and tired at the computer to laying in bed for two hours waiting for the Sandman to come.
2 comments:
Does this mean you'll be able to build a wall-to-wall bookshelp in less than an hour now?
Ty has ADHD, naw, never would have guessed (note the sarcasm).
He can build my shelves any day! (Take that however you want, because I could use some nice shelves too.)
Post a Comment