1. Grab the Nearest Book
without leaving my computer chair, The Weekend Crafter Crochet.
2. Open the Book to Page 123
uh-oh, it only goes to 79. I'll grab the book I'm in the middle of reading, even if it isn't the closest. But it's a really cool book. I've only read up to page 121.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
The top of page 123 is the last half of the sentence so do I count that one as the first sentence or do I start at the beginning of a complete sentence?
4. Post the text of the sentence here in a comment and on your own blog along with directions.
Can do.
(This means you reading this right now should grab a book and put a sentence in my comment section. please?)
(Don't search around and look for the "coolest" book you can find. Go with what is actually closest to you)
Oops. Oh well, no one has to know that it wasn't my closest book.
Here is the sentence:
"It's your unalienable right as a woman with a gay boyfriend to expect that I'll get out the martini shaker when you're sad, and together we'll plot a fitting revenge against the scum-sucking bastard who made you sad."
- Behind Every Great Woman There's a Fabulous Gay Man by Dave Singleton
The runner up sentence because of the dilemma from instruction #3 and because they are both great sentences:
"No matter what happens, I have at least 101 gay dating horror stories to remind you how much worse it could be."

Conveniently this also lets me tell all my single gal-pals that this is a great book! The sub-title is Advice from a Guy Who Gives It to You Straight. I highly recommend it. It was published just last year so it makes reference to pop-culture and technology that is still relevant. I recognize some of the advice as things my boys have said to me.
I must laugh at the martini reference in the quote because the only time I've been so drunk I don't remember parts of the night (uh, hi Mum and Dad) was just this year when I was at a gay bar with one of my boys. We were drinking martinis. Mine was really good - and the bartender had handed me the whole shaker. But we were not drinking because of men who did us wrong. And I really didn't mean to get that drunk.
When recommending this book to a friend, she asked if it is up there with He's Just Not That Into You. I haven't read it but when I whined to one of my boys about a guy he said,"Honey, I have a book for you." I don't need the book I just needed him to say the title. Well, the title and he elaborated a little further in why he thought this guy was not romantically interested in me. And he was correct.
3 comments:
Hey, I am the writer of Behind Every Great Woman and came across your blog while I was collecting reviews. My friends and I enjoyed reading what you wrote on your blog about my book. Very fun.
Best,
Dave Singleton
Just incase anyone comes back to this entry, I want to point out that I was so excited by this response that I put up a new entry here.
Post a Comment