Matinee. We're doing the "Hello, Dolly" number. I'm watching it from up on my platform. Just as she runs up the steps and the line is sung, "Dolly will never go away..." BLACKOUT. "Hey! Where'd I go?" she exclaims.Spotlight comes on "Oh, here I am!" BLACKOUT again. The musicians keep playing, the actors keep singing - all in the dark. They finally stop with someone telling them to clear the stage.
The power went out, came on briefly (less than a minute) and went out again. The lightboard didn't have time to reboot but the spotlight could keep going.
Remember I said I was on a platform?? My winch speed and brake marks are on a small platform about 20 feet up. I get up there by a straight steel ladder that is next to the platform. To get down, I have to take a big step away from the platform to get on to the ladder. I couldn't light my own feet while holding a flashlight in my mouth and the emergency lights weren't reaching that far. I had to call down to people for help.
Then we were instructed that anyone with a flashlight (that would be every techie) go out in the house and help the ushers evacuate the audience.
Stay tuned for the rest of the story...
Go here for Sunday Dolly Drama Part One
No comments:
Post a Comment