Wednesday, May 24, 2006

And the Poor Stay Poor


This was Mum's old bike. She gave it to me since my own bike had been stolen a few years ago (in a different neighborhood than I live in now). I couldn't afford to buy a new one. A friend was helping me restore this old Schwinn. I even had to get on eBay to find a specific type of cable to replace the old rotting one. The back fender was still bending into the tire, so it was unrideable.

Warning: Whinging Ahead
As I mentioned in my timeline, my bike was stolen last month. Snipped the cable. The new apartment building owner said we could no longer use our balconies for storage and hooked up a bike rack in the parking lot.
I had taken this picture in case something happened to it so I could show proof since I had renter's insurance. Well, that turned out to be pointless. Had the bike been worth more it would have been covered by the insurance. But it isn't. I'm actually not sure what the value of this bike is.
It's a bit of a catch 22. Had I been able to afford an expensive bike, it would have been covered and I could get another one. But if I had that kind of money, I would be able to just buy a new one. Instead, I've lost the one I had and don't have the money to replace it.

5 comments:

~N said...

I just found out - like 2 hours ago - about a $768 bill I wasn't expecting (because my health insurance co. decided to deny a bunch of claims, which I can and will fight, but in the meantime I owe my provider, grrrr...); I feel your pain!

Julie said...

That sucks. I'm so sorry, wish I could help.
Fight The Man!

K-Lyn said...

Just finished "Rich Dad Poor Dad" and while I don't agree with much of the premise I found your subject line fitting.

To jump in with $$ misery, my condo insurance went up with month...not sure where that is going to come from.

Julie said...

I'm unfamiliar with that - I'm assuming - book?

K-Lyn said...

Yes. The subtitle is something like "what the rich teach their kids about money that the poor and middle class do not".

Kinda true. Kinda not.

Good point about people thinking of their house as their biggest asset when it is really a liability.

That depressed me greatly.