King County is in honor of Rev. MLK, Jr. But wait, you ask, didn't the county exists before the man? Why yes, I answer. I didn't say it was named after him.
King was named after some random vice president in the late 1800's who had never even visited the Oregon Terrirtory. He wasn't one for very long: took the oath in Cuba (!) end of March of 1853. Died in Alabama in April 18, 1853.
In the 1980's, King County officials decided to shift the namesake over from a 19th Century Alabama Plantation & Slave Owner to a 20th Century Reverend and Civil Rights Activist.
Last year the logo of King County changed.
Old one:

New one:
2 comments:
Thanks Julie...My work prints for King County and I noticed the logo change but did not have the back story of where they originally got their name and hence the change. It's refreshing to see King County doing something right.
-Tab
Yay King Co! DQ asked who he was and why he gets a holiday, and I got to get all teachery on her. Of course it's kind of hard to explain racial segregation to the offspring of an interracial marriage! (And thank goodness for that.)
Post a Comment