Thursday, December 01, 2005

First Day of Snow

Here it is the first day of December and it is also the first snow. We haven't had snow in two years!
I decided to test out my e-bay impulse buy (hiking boots) and take the long route to the library - which included a stop at a little nature trail. Pictures to come.
It didn't stick until after I was done at the library (around 1pm). It was a nice walk home - going through the park, listening to "I'll Cover You" from Rent while snowflakes fell on my nose. I was even greeted by a cute Husky puppy, after he circled around me, tying me up in the leash, and then decided to leap up on my legs.

On Monday I got to see Rent - the movie version. While I have listened to the Broadway recording (Seasons of Love and One Song memorized) and even know people who have been in the show, I have never seen it. I've never had enough money to go - I had to pay my rent! Not going to do a review, but I will say this: I loved it. Much better than Cats, I want to see it again and again!
I cried from - well, don't want to give spoilers, so from right before the 'I'll Cover You Reprise' to the credits. And I usually don't cry at movies (I think I was also pms-ing, but it was still very touching).
On a side note, I made a mental note of Tom Collins' hat, trying to examine it on close-ups.
I went straight from the theater to the theatre. Empty Space is doing their annual Forbidden Xmas - a look at Christmas in Seattle through musical spoofs. Faith, who was the music director for OOTI, is the music director for the show. Not only that, she got a few songs herself! They even did a little ditty making fun of Village doing Cats. At intermission, I said, "I have Seasons of Love stuck in my head". Guess what was the very first song they spoofed in Act 2? The number was called "Kent" and amongst other things changed 'La Vie Boheme' to 'La Vie Boeing' - about the layoffs. Overall, the show was great. And for those of you who know my grief with UPS, they even did a song about Brown.

Rewind back to Rent. Before the movie started, something made me stop and listen to the music. They were playing 'Popular' from the musical, Wicked. I was not expecting to hear it at a mainstream movie theater, even though we were about to watch a musical.
Why do I mention this? Last night I saw the run-through of the show I will be working on, Snapshots. It has a story of it's own, but takes some Stephen Schwartz songs from other musicals. And 'Popular' is one of them!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got the soundtrack to Wicked already too. Plus tickets to see it in Chicago in January....pray there is not a blizzard that day!

Julie said...

C - or worse, she might become a dancer!

S - I had to read yours twice, at first I thought you had written that you are seeing Chicago. Wicked doesn't come to Seattle until September! (I'm pretty sure we won't have a blizzard).