Monday, November 14, 2005

Just move Halloween



It all started with a pair of boots. I had found a pair of red boots on clearance at Ross quite a few years ago. They were perfect for the Princess Buttercup (The Princess Bride) costume I would one day try to make. Since I'm a terrible sewer, I recruited Kristy to actually make my dress. I had also decided this year that I would be donating my hair. So I would have long blond hair like Buttercup by October. And right after Halloween I would cut and dye my hair. And on top of all that - Halloween was on my one night off! How great is that?

One of the challenges was Kristy lives in a different state. So we weren't quite sure if it would fit. But one of the advantages of working at a theatre is having professionals right there who could help fix it before Halloween.
The Wednesday before Halloween, Kristy overnighted the dress by UPS. To make a long story short - NEVER USE UPS. I don't want to waste my time explaining all that went wrong. Through many attempts to get the package, the final plan we had made with UPS is that I would pick it up on Monday, Oct 31, before they closed for the day. If it was not picked up by the end of the day they would deliver it Tuesday to the office. When I went to pick it up after work, they had already put it on a truck at 1pm, ready to ship Tuesday NOVEMBER 1st and it could not be retrieved.
So I ended up doing nothing on one of my favorite days of the year. I got the dress late Tuesday (yes, six days after it was shipped over night) and it fit perfectly. So I had my costume, but Halloween was over and soon I wouldn't even have the hair.
Wednesday I get an invite to a Halloween Costume Party on Nov 5! So I got to do the whole Halloween thing after all.

The costume isn't quite complete. I just borrowed gold rope from the theatre for the belt. I haven't made a replica belt yet. But didn't Kristy do a fantastic job creating the dress?
Most people guessed, "uh, Renaissance?"
"Princess Bride."
"Oh. Wasn't her dress blue?"

And a final P.S.: UPS must know they suck because they even bought out all combos of upssucks.org, upssucks.net, etc. The regular post office works fine, if not better. Please never send me anything via UPS.

2 comments:

K-Lyn said...

Next year Julie and I are both dressing up as UPS employees with gunshot wounds to the head.


And I'm not sewing anything!

Julie said...

Then I would get: Uh.. Lady Godiva?

That definitely would have been an option.