Monday, November 21, 2005

My Hats

I thought I would share some of my crochet creations. This entry: hats. I've already shared my beer can hat. Now for some others. The great thing about crocheting is I am still able to interact with people, or even just listen, my fidgety hands are kept busy, and eventually I have a creation.

I found an old pattern from the 60's called a Peek-a-Boo Hat. I made some of my own adjustments to it. I don't know if you could call it modernizing. There are two costs for my hats. There is the cash cost and a picture of the person wearing the hat.
Price: peek-a-boo $7, all other kinds $12. Just tell me the color.


Laura liked the hat because she would wear it after having to wear a wig in a show.
I made a duplicate one for her mom, too. Some of you might recognize Laura as the overbearing mother in the tv movie Rose Red. In real life she's a kick!

Babi's neighborhood was having a craft sale down in Eugene. Everything they sold had to be hand made, so she asked me to send some of my hats. I was making more hats during my down time at the theatre.
When I started on a purple peek-a-boo to send to Babi to sell, Alex came over to inquire what I was doing.
"Making a hat."
"Who are you making it for?"
"I don't know. Who do you think I should make it for?"
"Meeee!!"
After I had finished it, I realized that I had made an adult-sized hat. Luckily, with all her braids, it fit just fine. Her mom says that she wears it all the time (awww).


I was making a skull cap with mohair-like yarn. The yarn kept collecting hair. This was a hat I wanted to sell, so I didn't want to get my hair all over it. Yet I needed to try it on a head. And then David walked in to the room - with his shaved head. Aha! I didn't tell him what I was doing as I grabbed him and fitted it on his head.
"Are you making a hat for me?" he asked with a hopeful tone.
"Uh, no. Do you want me to?"
He told me he wanted one just like the one I had made the other day (a gray peek-a-boo).
"Like Alex's," I said.
"No, like the one you were wearing."
"That is the same one. It just looks a lot different on me than it does on Alex."



I brought all the hats to the theatre so I could put some final touches before mailing them. So when I was working on them in the Green Room, people started digging through the bunch. I even sold some right then. Which is good because Eugene ended up being a total bust. From what I heard, there was a storm that weekend and hardly any shoppers showed up. No one managed to sell much of anything. Not one hat sold. Mum was down there helping and said that she wanted to buy some for Christmas gifts. So between selling to actors and family, it wasn't a total loss.


David models the skull cap he bought from me.


And what is the strangest thing I have been commissioned to make, you might ask? A rasta hat for a dinner roll.
A year old hardened dinner roll has become a prank gift between a few people at the office. The next victim will be Eric, who often wears a rasta hat. So I made a little replica. The best part was working on it at the theatre and people asking, "What are you making now?"
"A rasta hat for a dinner roll."
"Oh." There is a lot of strange things that go on at a theatre, so some people didn't even inquire further after that answer.
I do have other styles besides the peek-a-boo and skull cap (and dinner roll). Once I get those back from Eugene, I'll take pictures of those, too.



2 comments:

K-Lyn said...

Which reminds me...my HP Gryffyndor scarf got many many compliments on opening night. of course I wasn't the only one with such an item, but mine was the only one with the double stripe that looked JUST like the one in the movie. SCORE!

Julie said...

My next crochet entry was going to be about my house scarves! But I still need some pix.

K - So glad I could add to your coolness (or geekiness). I need to get a picture of that scarf as I don't have any. And if you still have it, I also don't have any pics of the Slytherin scarf.
The next crochet blog entry is waiting on you now.

C- I use hsc. I'll tell you the rest in a private e-mail.

p.s. the word verification that they gave me is "dryfump." It sounds almost dirty!