One of the MANY things that was great about going to San Fran was how short the trip is from Seattle. I'm so use to flying further distances and having at least one lay-over. I was trying to figure out if it takes longer to drive to Portland than it does to fly to SF (I'm including the drive to the airport and going through security). The flight itself was an hour twenty. All I have to do is click my heels and I'm there.
Before I left for the trip, I kept asking people if they had any recommendations for places to see, things to do, places to eat. Pretty much just got a shrug from everyone, "See everything." Got one restaurant name (saw it as we drove past on a bus, but never got there). One mention for City Light Books. And a drag show - that one came from Mum (sadly, after running for over 60 years, that place closed down in '99).
When I came back, people asked me, "Did you see ____ ?" Half the time my answer was 'no.'
I even found out after the trip that my great-uncle is buried at The Presidio cemetery.
For some reason, the most asked from Seattleites was, "Did you see the Parrots of Telegraph Hill?" Something never mentioned before I left. At first I thought, "The documentary?" which I also hadn't seen. I didn't even know that was in San Francisco. Or even the United States. I asked K if anyone asked her that in Portland. No. I think part of it might be that the documentary was a big hit at one of Seattle's Film Festivals.
Next time I go (did you really think I'd go only once?), before I leave, I'll say, "I just got back from San Fran." When they ask, "Did you see ____ ?" I'll write it down on the list.
There was a concern I had traveling with a friend. I think most people have this concern. K-Lyn and I haven't traveled together for fifteen years. Would we drive each other nuts? Or as an introvert, would I have enough 'alone time'? Would our friendship be strained being around each other 24 hours a day for five days? Luckily, none of this happened. (Well, you'll have to ask K if I drove her nuts, she may have just kept that to herself).
The one thing I didn't plan on or even think about: Wearing my travel partner out. With 2 to 3 jobs, I'm use to pushing myself from Wed morning and not stopping til Monday night. I have the added benefit of ADD giving me extra energy and I had just started on Adderall. Not that I'm spinning like the Tasmanian Devil the whole time or something, I just don't need to stop. I sometimes (ok, always) forget that not everyone can go that long without a good rest. Luckily, she bounced back. And it's something for me to be aware of with anyone I travel with.
And now, I have finally, officially, been to San Francisco.
2 comments:
I've been fairly blessed with travel partners and you were no exception. I was, however, concerned that *I* was not up to par as the whole trip snuck up on me and i didn't feel adequately prepared (ie. I was exhuasted going into it). Thanks for putting up with me.
If asked I'd say it was a bonding experience and has brought us closer. Or was that the fantasy baseball league?
I was going to mention that I thought it was a "re-bonding" experience.
Post a Comment