At some point last year I ran across The Hour on CBC. It's called "a magazine" show, but it is too smart to be called that. Hosted by George There are many reasons I love this show. It is very intelligent. The kind of guests that appear on it are amazing. Such as last night, the first guest was James Appathurai (NATO Spokesman). Even when there is a regular Hollywood actor on, he always finds something more deep than what Leno or Letterman would talk about. Yet he is also casual and can joke around with a the guest as if it was only the two of them kicking back and having a pint. But it isn't all serious, either. There are the lists, the cold opens, etc. And on a something fascinating and usually educating section, check out 'Disinformation.'
Another reason to watch is that it is a Canadian show. Not only am I learning more about Canada, but about my own country, too. There are things I found out about the Bush administration that I didn't know - like things that they have been censoring in American media. Of course I didn't know, it had been censored from me! There is also more attention paid to the rest of the world, not just the country it is airing from. And if that wasn't enough, these last few months there was the extra bonus: new shows every night. While all the other late night talk shows were suffering from the writer's strike, there were still new episodes of The Hour.
Being a Canadian gent, George always starts every show introducing himself as my boyfriend (although occasionally goes PC by saying "partner"). Now about getting married so I can get my green card for work in Vancouver...
Before you complain about not getting the CBC in your area or the fact that it is on the same time as Jon Stewart: You can watch it for free on cbc.ca/thehour. Or subscribe to the video or audio podcasts for free on iTunes. That way you don't have to choose between your lover and your boyfriend. On the website you can watch the whole show - the one that just aired. Then it gets divided up in to categories. The archives are extensive.
So go watch. Just don't steal my future greencard, er, husband.
No comments:
Post a Comment