Monday, March 13, 2006

Standby Spew... And Spew Go

I've been in rehearsals all week. Helped hang lights and then switched over to sound.
The musical is a new one called Girl of My Dreams. It's about a USO Troupe in WWII.
We do a 'Friends & Family' free performance before we open to test out everything in front of a live (and kind) audience. We have one more tech rehearsal after that to fix any issues we had. And we always warn the audience that they are basically watching a dress rehearsal. Not everything is even finished by that rehearsal.
Sunday morning we had a tech rehearsal. That night was F & F performance. In between that time, I went to the deli for a quick bite. I did not choose wisely. Ended up with food poisoning. It hit the hardest right before we started the show. The sound designer ran the show for me while I was re-visiting my dinner. By intermission I had actually recovered a lot, but the stage manager wouldn't let me run it at all. I just watched it from the booth. Luckily today is my day off, so I can be in total recovery by tomorrow night's rehearsal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could say I never had to cue the spew. This last Revels we had a ton of sickness on the last day. Our 11 year old lead child was alternately white as a ghost and green as a frog. Then the adults started showing syptoms. We had buckets backstage left and right with kitty litter in them. My favote was giving the note to the cast:

"If you're gonna spew, (holding out bucket) spew into this."

I'm afraid the quote was lost on many but my crew and I couldn't stop ourselves the rest of the night. We wanted write on the poster "You'll laugh. You'll cry. You'll hurl."