Friday, July 28, 2006

Israel & Seattle

I don't know why I thought of it, but as I was eating lunch at the Sub Shop I thought of the weird pondering conversations we would have in college. A reoccurring one was 'if a crazed gunman came in to the dorm, what route would they take and who would be shot first?' Since our dorm was on a hill, we would debate which route a gunman would take depending on which entrance, etc.
You have to remember this was before Columbine and other such events.

When I came back from lunch I was reading an e-mail from some family friends who live in Rehovot, Israel. Dad had sent them an e-mail asking if they were alright. They are and have not gotten any rocket attacks.

Here's some clips from the e-mail:

She writes:

It is quite surrealistic to have a completely normal routine and know at the same time the people one hour's drive away are in shelters.

He writes:

Thinking & reminiscing about them good-old-Oregonian times, I just thought that may be a picnic at Bear Lake & a brief 'meditation' there would be a great cure for all them nuts in this world !!?? But being an eternal optimist ( couldn't otherwise on account of 'survivor') I really hope that some some day, we will be able to host the beloved [my family] & substitute the Bear-Lake picnic with one here at our 'Lake of Galilee OK ?


As I was driving home that same day, I saw a helicopter hovering over downtown. It was rush hour and didn't seem too odd. Except for the fact that the whirlybird didn't seem to be moving from its spot. Figured there must be an accident they were reporting. Then I hear on the radio, ".. and we'll bring you an update on the incident in Belltown." Downtown - and my old neighborhood.
Around 4pm a crazed gunman came in to the Jewish Federation office and started shooting people.
The office is a block and a half down the street from my old apartment.
http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=shooting29m1&date=20060729&source=st
Apparently we made the news over in Israel.

Pregnant woman's story:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003184980_klein09m.html

Also from the Seattle Times:

The Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle announced today it has established a special fund to help the victims and the organization recover from the shootings. Donations to the fund can be made by mail through the Jewish Federation Victim's Assistance Fund administered by the Jewish Community Federation of San Francisco. Checks should be made to: Seattle Victims' Fund, Jewish Community Federation of San Francisco, 121 Steuart St., San Francisco, CA 94105.

The funds will be used to benefit victims, their family members and the Federation. Donations will be allocated to a variety of services and reimbursements including travel expenses, medical assistance, psychological counseling as well as security enhancements to the Federation's Seattle facility.

1 comment:

K-Lyn said...

Wow! That is some story!!!