Wednesday, September 20, 2006

CAUTION: Watch for Falling Job Offers

One day, in late August, I got sideswiped by a job interview when I wasn't looking. It wasn't even in my field (whatever my field is... I have so many odd jobs the lines have kind of blurred).

I started temping again the day after Dolly closed. In Seattle, theatres are dark during August. While I still had PLENTY of petsitting gigs, I wanted a little bit more cash flow so I could buy a plane ticket to my college reunion. I almost didn't take the job because it was so far south from where I live (and even further south from where I was petsitting most of the time). But they said it was the only one they had available.

Just after a week of being there, my supervisor asked me if I would be interested in becoming an employee. I explained that in September I would already be working two jobs and didn't think I could fit this in.
I had made a promise to myself after last year that I would only work one to two jobs at a time.

After a few weeks of her hinting I should be an employee, one morning she brought me into her office. A serious offer. And this time she said the magic word: Benefits. Including dental (that's like please, with cherry on top). I've never had benefits from a job.
Another interesting angle that actually appealed to me: the job would only last for a year. And they are willing to work around my theatre schedule. I would have a job interview after lunch. A surprise job interview? At least I had lunch time to panic - I mean, think - about what kind of questions I could ask about the job.

I took the weekend to mull it over - and talk to a couple of friends about it. I said yes on Monday morning.
I'm actually not going to say what the job is just for privacy sake (I'm already a little too public about theatre) but I will say that it is a project I believe in.

I was still working under the temp contract until everything could be arranged. Meanwhile I was in tech rehearsals at the theatre, too. Three days in a row I was in rehearsals for twelve hours, getting out around 1:30am. And they were hard rehearsals. The day after that was my first day of being an official employee. September 11th. Go back a couple of blog entries to see how that day went.

They really have let me do things like sleep in on days I come home from the theatre at 2am. I'm able to talk to clients when they call my cell during the day. And I don't feel bad about it since I told them up front that I had other things going on. They were the ones still willing to hire me.

This is a long way of explaining why my blog entries might be few and far between these next few months. And why I don't respond to every e-mail I get sent (although I am reading them all).

When I told the head boss during the interview, "I took this temp job so I could buy a plane ticket to my college reunion." He responded with, "Well, now you can afford to fly home, too."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Benefits! Imagine! Your parents are so proud!

Courtney said...

Congrats. Benefits are a good thing.

Julie said...

Yah. Now when I overwork myself, I can go see a doctor about it! (if I can squeeze it in to my schedule)