Friday, September 08, 2006

Heard a good book lately?

I am looking for some recommendations on good books. There are two categories:
1. Audio Books for my obnoxious commutes. Yes, that is plural. Unfortunately I can't take public transit to most of where I want to go and haven't figured out carpools.
2. Something to read on the plane. I'm flying to Iowa at the end of September.
I'm giving examples of books below but I don't want it to appear that I am particular to any kind of genre. I like them all, fiction and non-fiction. Kids books are fine, too - young adult I mean. I'm talking Rowling, not Suess. A good book is a good book, no matter what category it falls under.

Audio Books:
The problem with driving and listening to books is: I do have to concentrate occasionally on the actual driving. That and my mind will wander and I'll have to rewind a paragraph or so. Nothing with too complicated a plot or lengthy descriptions. This leaves out most of the classics. Examples of what I don't want: Brothers Karamazov, Lord of the Rings
Can be available in cassette or CD. Prefer cassette. I don't have a CD burner, so no suggestions that are available by podcast only, please.
examples of audio books I have enjoyed:
Doesn't always have to be a book. I really liked The Best of Car Talk

Books for the Plane:
A story that will hold my attention and distract me from the fact I'm on an airplane.
Requirements: Something small that I can just throw on the top of the stuff in my carry-on. Must be available in paperback.
Examples:
The Education of Harriet Hatfield

So please leave your recommendations in the comment section. Don't be afraid to suggest something that you think I have probably already read. Most likely I haven't. Remember that I haven't read much in the last few years.
I might even write a book review entry from these. Might.

1 comment:

K-Lyn said...

I'll mail you a copy of Freakonomics, some Hitchhiker's radio series, and some Vinyl Cafe...give me about a week.