Tuesday, September 26, 2006

My Role in the Universe (This Year)

I realized the other day that twice this year the same thing has happened to me. And in two completely different places.

Someone makes a mishire. They get someone who seem fine for the job during the hiring process. Then when the person actually starts the job, they realize this person isn't well suited nor is their learning curve high enough to eventually understand the job.

That is where I come in. Even though I am a lower rank than these mishires, I am brought on board to make things run more smoothly. I'm under the disguise of "extra help" to the mishire while I am saving everyone's ass.

People have been very impressed with my high learning curve. Which surprises me, too. I have a learning disability. You would think that would effect my ability to learn (well, it's not like they are trying to get me to do calculus).

This sounds like an interesting role to have. But remember I said that I am a lower rank. So it's a little less... rewarding, I guess would be the word. Don't get me wrong, it's not thankless, but you can't pay rent on thank you's. Although the ego is definitely cashing in a bit. A few weeks after one of these jobs, a person was going around the lunch table telling his first impressions of everyone (including people who weren't there with us). "What did you think of me?" I asked cautiously, esp. since some of the things he was saying weren't all that kind. I was expecting the usual, you were quiet at first...
"I thought you were a goddess!" And talked about how wonderful I was at my job. That was a very nice/shocking surprise.

The other thing is, I really don't really know how to exploit myself with this newly discovered role the universe has appeared to given to me. Print business cards that say,"Need Someone to Cover Your Mistake? Hire Julie!" (Why am I suddenly picturing the Ghostbusters' tv commercial in the movie?)
Too bad Douglas Addams isn't still alive. He would have a good slogan for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the corporate world. This is the world that some of us live in on a regular basis. Makes you feel a little sorry for us, doesn't it? :-)

This is why all of those "office" self-help/office politics books do so well....

Julie said...

Except one of these jobs was in the arts, not corporate.

Oh I've always felt a little sorry for corporate workers (wink).