I ended up having an entire birthday celebration week, not just day.
And that's not even counting when I was in Portland earlier this month.
My week was full of snowshoeing, hot tubbing, board games, swing dancing, fine dining, home made desserts, and a 1970's retro party. Also, I am finally an REI Member. Pictures and tales to come.


On my actual birthday (Thursday) I saw something I have never seen within the Seattle city limits. I was at the Northgate library and had my car parked with the nose facing ivy rolling downhill. It was only around 6pm. Getting into the car I see something run along the ivy. It stopped in front of my hood, so I walked up. A raccoon turned around and looked at me. She tried the "aren't I cute? come here a little closer..." look. When I didn't move forward she realized I was slightly wiser than one of those city slickers who do the,"oh, how sweet, let me feed you from my hand" and dove back into the ivy.
The reason I mention this is that in my Lakota studies in college we were taught that an appearance of an animal has significance. Not sure what it means though. That night on the phone Dad told me he had been chasing off two raccoons from his backyard just that day. Not a rare sighting in that neighborhood, though.
3 comments:
As to the raccoons.... The neighbors caught one in a live trap today, and called me to dispose of it. I couldn't do the first thing that came to mind, as it would seem barbaric to some, and downright messy. And noisy. So I decided to take the beast for a little "ride." I recalled a spot within a half hour from home that was away from humans, sort of, and next to a stream. I carefully opened the trap and he/she eased out then quickly climbed the nearest tree. Good enough. You're on your own. The beastie may wander downstream to human habitation (possibly a nearby "sun resort") and bother them - but who knows? Coyotes and cougars have to eat too... "Oh the exquisite balance of life."
I dig the raccoon stories.
However, the only response I want to write is:
Son I am able,
she said
though you scare me.
Watch, said i
Beloved,
I said watch
me scare you though.
said she,
Able am i, son.
Hey, Happy Birthday for the 25th!! I'll have to note that one in my birthday calendar!!
Post a Comment