"Hello, is this President Clinton? Good! I figured if anyone knew where to get some Tang, it'd be you."
- Homer Simpson
Deep Space Homer Episode
- Homer Simpson
Deep Space Homer Episode
I was doing some shopping for the party I would be hosting. The theme: 1970s. I was having trouble finding Tang. After doing research on the web to make sure they still made Tang (yes, and it's by Kraft) I decided to try the large independent grocery store near my work. No, not there either. But I saw something there that I don't ever recall seeing in any other grocery store.
At the front of the store there is the usual locked, glass case full of cigarettes. But sitting right next to it, in the same exact kind of locked case, was baby formula.
I must explain the location of the store because this might be one of the reasons why they have this setup. This store is in a not-so-safe neighborhood. It's across the street from a high school and kitty-corner from the community center and daycare. Classical music is blaring loudly in the parking lot. In Seattle they use classical or country music outside of places they don't want teenagers to loiter (gang members, usually) and it seems to work.
I have never needed baby formula, so maybe I've just never noticed it before. Has anyone else seen this? Is it common? Is it common in just certain neighborhoods?
I finally did find Tang on the fourth try, at Top Foods, where I grabbed another '70's item. In the express checkout line, there was a woman ahead of me who looked about my age and dressed similar. I looked at what she was buying. Sushi rolls and a bottle of wine. What I was buying: Tang and Jiffy Pop.
2 comments:
So did you ever figure out what happens when you mix vodka with tang?
And no. I've never seen baby formula locked up before. Babies yes. Formula no.
Tang ROCKS!!!! It's hard to find over here in Oz as well....
Never seen baby formula under lock and key though....hmmm....
Post a Comment