It was my first year in Seattle. I was on the phone with fellow blogger, Neel. This was so long ago, "blog" wasn't a word yet. He had one of those book of questions. I can only remember part of the question. If you could never leave the state you live in right now, would you? N, can you remember (or look up) what was it that you could either gain or give up by doing so? Or maybe someone else remembers, too? This would also be a good blog conversation in itself - as soon as we find out the whole question.
As long as friends and family could visit from out-of-state, my answer was a resounding YES! I had biked the San Juans, lived in downtown Seattle, saw Mt St Helens errupt and recover, camped at Mt. Rainier, and this was even before I had been over The Goat Rocks.
Why am I bringing this up? Because after 16 years, tomorrow I am finally getting to go back to one of my favorite places on the planet. And it's right here in Washington. Orcas Island in the San Juans. So if you don't ever hear from me again, just know that I am happy doing what I want to do, a free spirit wandering through the forests and waters.
Let the sea resound and everything in it,
the world, and all who live in it.
Let the rivers clap their hands,
Let the mountains sing together for joy
Psalms 98:7-8
photo by Lee Mann
1 comment:
Wow, that's a long time ago. My memory is lousy about things like this. Fortunately, The Book of Questions has been reproduced online here.
The relevant questions:
9. Would you accept $1,000,000 to leave the country and never set foot in it again?
87. Which of the following restrictions could you best tolerate: leaving the country permanently, or never leaving the state in which you now live?
I'm guessing it's #87, and I'm glad you've found a way to definitively answer the question. You'd miss Portland, though.
Post a Comment