On an April night I was waiting for the bus in Fremont. That morning I had been enjoying kayaking in the rain around the Arboreteum. I saw a bus going in the opposite direction. As it passed by I read the advert: "Kayak San Juans." That's all it said. I love the San Juans and had just started my interest in kayaking. It was a sign (literally and figuratively). My heart yearned for that, but thought, how could I ever do it? I wasn't working in April so I didn't have the money and who would go with me? Care2.com was even telling me "Kayak San Juans" by putting a banner advertisement on the homepage where I check my e-mail. It made my heart feel heavy that I wouldn't be able to go to the San Juans, let alone kayak there.
Fast forward to August. I had been working non-stop since the beginning of May. I had enough money. Pic says she's heading to Orcas for a vacation if I would like to join her. And one of the things she plans on doing is kayaking. I had enough money to go and actually had that weekend free. As I was out on the seawater in a kayak, I thought of that April night and laughed in delight because with barely any planning on my part, my wish had come true!
But enough background, now for the actual trip. This is the first time I had been on a guided kayak tour and the first time on saltwater. I've only kayaked Lake Union and Lake Washington. Pic, the more experienced kayaker, sat in the back of our tandem and steered. Except for the first time I ever went kayaking, I have always gone tandem. I haven't had to steer in three years! Our guide, Jeff (who was a great guide), gave us some paddling tips. It helped immensely. I have RSI in my right wrist and this was the first time I didn't have any soreness after paddling. I think I've been lifting my hands too high, where as they shouldn't go above nose height. Also remembered to do as much pushing with one hand as pulling with the other. I have a bad habit of just pulling with one arm.
While we were launching off of Orcas Island, there weren't going to be any whales. Like most of us have wanted to do since Bush got in the White House, they've gone up to Canada. The fish run isn't very good in Washington right now. But here are things we did see:
Lion's Mane Jellyfish, both red and yellow (the biggest jellyfish there is).
Harbor Seals
Herons
Bald Eagle
Starfish
Otters
Many other birds, can't remember them all or remember correct names. Maybe Pic will be able to add more later.
Saturday, August 20, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment