Monday, August 01, 2005

Megachiroptera is my favorite kind of Chiroptera


When I was 16 I got the special privilege of having a fruit bat or ‘flying fox’ hang from my arm at the Taronga Zoo. He was very sweet and loved his tummy rubbed. This sparked a love affair. Flying foxes became one of my favorite animals.

For the last year, I haven’t been able to finish reading a book. Or even get halfway through. This happened about the same time I went off the meds. But that doesn’t make sense, since I was a bookworm when I was little – with no help of meds or even knowing I had an L.D.
I’ve just started reading again. Couldn’t tell you why the change. And the first book is "America’s Neighborhood Bats" by Merlin D. Tuttle. It’s been on my shelf for a few years. I always glanced through it, looking mostly at the pictures, but never really reading it. Although I haven’t finished reading it, it is a big deal that three days in a row I picked it up to continue reading.

The more I learn about bats, the more wonderful I think they are.
I loved the stories in the beginning of the book about people who thought they were being attacked by bats and the story of what really happened. Let me give one quick lesson: Bats DO NOT attack people!

In the book it mentioned Bats Conservation International (BCI). So I went to their website. That is where I found out about what is happening on eBay. Click here to find out more. It only takes a moment to sign the petition and I encourage you to do so!

On a side note:
I’m looking for a bat that can cling to a window, kind of like Garfield. I have two right now on the sliding glass door to my balcony. According to Feng Shui, it would be better for me to have three. I have Bartok from "Anastasia" and a Halloween one that is orange and black, both of them plush. If anyone can point me in the direction of a third one…

2 comments:

Julie said...

The link to the eBay petition has been fixed. Please try again!

Neel Mehta said...

Let me give one quick lesson: Bats DO NOT attack people!

Darn tootin'! Bats don't attack people. But people who train bats to attack people do attack people.

For the last year, I haven’t been able to finish reading a book. Or even get halfway through.

This is why Julie reads the last page of a book just in case she never makes it there. That, my friends, is a dark side.