Friday, March 16, 2007

Channeling My Inner Monk

I love detective stories. One of my favorite things is when they can look at a person and come to a conclusion about what they do or where they are from. What can you tell about a person from what they are wearing and carrying with them? I occasionally do this on the city bus - and include day and time it is and if we are headed towards downtown or away. Of course, I never get to find out if I'm correct in any of my guesses.

I managed to surprise a family in San Francisco with this game. K and I were in line for the ferry to Alcatraz. Haven gotten up so early to catch the bus to take us there, we didn't have time to go buy sunblock. A family of three was right behind us, slathering some on. The mother offered us some. I took the Aveeno bottle and then gave it to K. She gave it back and the dad put it in his backpack. Then I watched the mother hand the son a Kit-Kat bar.
"Are you from Canada?" I asked the mother.
"Yes!" She looked surprised, "Can you tell from our accent?"
"No," I replied, realizing I hadn't paid attention to any kind of accent. "I noticed a little maple leaf logo on the sunscreen bottle, you have a LeBatt's beer backpack, and your Kit-Kat looks different from ours."
"Wow." She was once again surprised. Or maybe it was the fact that she had no idea the US and Canada don't have the same Kit-Kat bar.
Turns out they were from Toronto.

1 comment:

K-Lyn said...

I was impressed by this as we hadn't heard them talk much and I had not yet noticed an accent (the spidey sense should have kicked in), was too excited over the fact that I wasn't going to get burned to a crisp to analyze the sunscreen bottle and my eyes had just lighted on the Kit Kat bar when Julie spoke up. Of course, they didn't share the Kit Kat...bummer.