Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Well-Timed Phone Call

There were two reasons for K-Lyn and I to go to San Francisco. One was the fact that I had always wanted to go see the city. The other was to visit friends. We had made contact with everyone we wanted to see. Except for one couple. K had e-mailed the husband, V., quite ahead of time to let them know we would be coming. No response. She tried again right before we left. No response. Well, that was understandable. They have two small children and live out in San Jose. Probably to busy to even reply, let alone see us.

Friday night we are in the hotel, getting ready to head out to meet our friends for dinner. K's phone rings. "It's V," she says. 'Well, he must have finally got a moment to call now that we are here', I think.
She mentions to V that she can't talk long because we have reservations at six for the Stinking Rose. From her side of the conversation - and from what little bits I could hear coming from the phone, I could tell that he was rather surprised. "What? You're here? In town?!"
"Didn't you get my e-mails?"
"No!"

K explained that she and I were in SF and made arrangements to tentatively meet on Sunday. After they hung up, K realized that she hadn't found out why he was calling in the first place.

Because of the small children factor, it was easier for us to go out to San Jose. This also gave us the chance to take a tour of the Winchester Mystery House on our way there. After the tour, V picked us up in the mini-van and invited us to his house for a bbq. We met the kids and got to see their beautiful home. His wife greeted me with a big hug. It had been quite a few years since our last meeting (they were engaged the last time I had seen them). Both remembered me, but neither one could actually remember how we had met. They are such nice people that they welcomed me immediately, even though I'm not sure they knew who I was!

K finally remembered to ask,"What were you calling me about if you didn't know we were in town?"
V shrugged,"I just hadn't talked to you in awhile and thought I would call."


No comments: